- 1.5 gallons Water
- 30 grams (2 tbsps.) Sugar, adjust to desired taste
- 30 grams (2 tbsps.) Salt, adjust to desired taste
- 6 lbs. Beef bones w/ marrow and/or pork bones (buto-buto)
- 20 grams shrimp paste (bagoong)
- 1 lb. Beef
- 1 lb. Pork
- 1 lb. Pork Liver
- 1 lb. Pork innards (large intestines, uterus, stomach - any one or combination of all)
- 5 lbs. fresh noodles (meke), washed in warm water and drained.
- 1 pc. large red onions
- 1 bundle fresh spring onions, chopped (for garnishing)
- 1 pack pork cracklings (chicharon), crushed (for garnishing)
- Fried garlic (available at Asian stores), for garnishing
- As desired – MSG
- 2 pcs. beef flavor bouillons
- Boil water with salt, sugar and MSG (optional) in a large pot. Add-in beef and pork bones, beef, pork, pork liver and pork innards. Pre-boil pork liver and innards for 15 minutes, see below.
- Strain floating brown particles during boiling.
- Add-in the fried onions (see separate preparations below).
- Remove and set aside meat when tender according to following approximate times:
- Boil (separately) shrimp paste for about 5-10 minutes. Strain and discard the solid, and pour-in the liquid to the broth.
- If shrimp paste is unavailable, boil shrimp heads for 5-10 minutes. Strain and discard the solid particles, and pour-in the liquid to the broth.
- Remove meat from bones. Slice all the meat lengthwise and set aside.
Pork and pork liver - 30 to 45 mins.
Pork intestines, uterus, stomach - 1 to 1 ½ hrs.
Pork bones - 1 ½ to 2 hrs.
Beef and beef bones - 2 to 3 hrs.
- Place 1 handful of fresh noodles in a bowl (for 1 person).
- Top sliced meat, about half handful.
- Garnish with fried garlic, crushed pork cracklings and chopped spring onions.
- Pour boiling broth.
- Enjoy while hot. Best if paired with puto or hot pan de sal.
- Slice lengthwise.
- Deep-fry until toasted brown.
- Pour-in water (about ¾ cup) and let boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour-in to the broth.
Cleaning Pork Innards.
- Wash and scrub with salt. Rinse.
- Boil separately together with pork liver, and with sliced fresh onions and laurel leaves for 15 minutes.
Pork stomach (or uterus or intestines)
Boiling pork liver and innards separately (add-in to the rest of the meat after 15 minutes).
Boiling shrimp paste.