It was believed by many that this soup has an aphrodisiac effect, I do not know exactly how true it is. Since it was made from the meat of the bull's genitals, only few dared to cook or taste it, especially women and kids. Usually paired with beer as pulutan or simply eaten as a soup.
The recipe I am going to share is similar to the preparation of this soup but not using the bull's genitals as meat and added some twist to make it more acceptable to the majority of our eating public. Instead of bull's genitals, I used beef comb tripe, cow's feet (pata) and beef shank. These three ingredients when boiled and cut into smaller pieces, appearance and texture will give an impression to the soup composed by bull's genitals but reality it is not. And the good thing, you will enjoy it more thinking that you are really not eating cow's s** organs!
Soup No. 5 Recipe
- 1 lb beef comb tripe
- 1 pc. medium cow feet
- 2 pcs. medium beef shank
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 1 medium red onions (minced)
- 3 pcs. tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 thumb-size ginger (minced)
- about 6-8 pcs. peppercorns
- 6 - 8 cups water
- 1 cup carnation evaporated milk (or fresh milk)
- 1 can baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 knorr/maggi beef cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- celery (optional)
- Saute onions, ginger, garlic and tomato (in the following order) in the pressure cooker. Do not saute the meat (this will close the pores and will prevent the natural beef taste to come out).
- Pour water and let it boil.
- Place the beef comb tripe, cow's feet and beef shank. Pour on more water if necessary, the water level must be just little over the meat. Sprinkle peppercorns.
- Cover the pressure cooker and close the lid and set the fire to medium.
- Count 15 minutes since the pressure cooker started to whistle and open it. Take extra careful while the pressure cooker is still hot. My technique is raise the whistler with a spoon, let the air pressure release and ran a cold tap water on top of the lid in the sink, and open after it cooled down.
- Remove the beef comb tripe and cut into pieces. It should not be cooked longer or else it will be very tender.
- Cover the pressure cooker and count another 15 minutes after it started to whistle again. Remove the beef shank and cut into pieces.
- Check the tenderness of the beef feet, if it needs more cooking, cook for another 15-30 minutes. Remove the meat from the bones and cut into bite-size pieces once tender.
- Using a strainer, strain the the broth. Save the broth and residues of garlic, ginger, onions, tomatoes and peppercorns.
- Using another pot, heat small oil and saute the spices residue and mixed meat.
- Remove mixed meat and set aside.
- Pour in the broth and add the beef cube flavor. Bring to a boil.
- Pour in milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook in low heat for 2 minutes.
- Pour in meat and baked beans. Sprinkle celery if desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy!